Thursday, June 3, 2010

Career Paradigm Shift from Software Engineering Architect to Building Architect

Is it a paradigm shift to change careers from Software Engineering Architect to Building Architect?

I was/am a Software Engineering Architect (aka Project, Program, or Product Manager depending on the company) leading the user-centered design and architecture of profitable websites and products through contextual inquiry, heuristic evaluations, and human-computer interaction research.  My peers say I am self-motivated to seek product improvements that have delivered a ROI at every previous company. 

My Expert Skills
~ Ownership of customers’ and company goals
~ Keen understanding and listener of the “Voice of the Customer”
~ Thorough competitors’ research and comparative analysis
~ Envision and architect insightful products that are easy-to-use
~ Translate and communicate requirements between stakeholders
~ Identify unforeseen website and business process inefficiencies
~ Tenacious discoverer of the root-cause and their solutions

After a lot of soul searching, I decided to change careers and become a licensed building architect.  My preliminary research shows the University of Utah Master of Architecture program is required for the State License.  The U of U Bachelor of Architecture Studies is a prerequisite and is also articulated with the AS Architecture Technology program at Salt Lake Community College.  To maximize the transferability of my past college credits, SLCC is where I will begin this journey.  To start I aced the college math placement exam.  Also, I earned an A on my first architecture project. 

Granted I have only just begun, yet I don’t feel this is a paradigm shift.  After reading a few chapters in “Architect?” by Roger K. Lewis and in comparison to my past professional experience, I already have some architect skills plus transferable skills.  Also, I absolutely breathe LEED.  With my past interest in NASA SEL, the LEED Green Building Facts make me feel right at home.

So now I am a full-time architecture student searching for a job.  Considering my background I applied for an intern product manager job at Autodesk, the owner of AutoCAD and Revit Architecture software.  

Life is wonderful
~۩~

© Copyright 2010 Michael Rybin, All Rights Reserved.